I live near Dayton, OH, with my awesome husband, John, and our two cats, Percival and Veena.
Currently I work for Elsevier in their user-centered design group, and focus on health sciences and clinical decision support initiatives.
When I am not working I like to experiment with photography, play with my cats, fence with the SCA (I am studying German two-handed longsword, cook, or just kick back with a beer and a good book.
I read a lot. You will never see me without a book or my Kindle.
- My very first pet ever was a hermit crab. I got him for Christmas when I was three. His name was Shovels, and his favorite food was grapes.
- Other pets that I had during my formative years - gerbils, parakeets, box turtles (Alice, who I received as a First Communion present is still happy and has been in the family for over 30 years), ducks (slightly odd considering that this was in the Cleveland suburbs), and a cockatiel.
- I will choose cheese over chocolate every time. I like chocolate, but...mmmmm...cheese...
- I have a red belt in Chun Do Kwan Tae Kwon Do. Since it is over ten years since I belonged to a dojo and studied that particular style, I should probably say that I "had" a red belt.
- I have also studied/dabbled in judo, aikido, karate, wing chung kung fu, kali, and escrima.
- I have never broken any bones. (And I hope to keep it that way)
- I have had eye surgery twice. On each eye. And still wear glasses. (Thanks, severe astigmatism!)
- I went to an all-girls Catholic high school - Beaumont, in Cleveland Heights - and "majored" in fine arts.
- I played varsity soccer in high school.
- In college, I majored in archaeology and art history.
- John and I have experimented with homebrewing beer and making cordials.
- I am always up for trying out a new cocktail
- I like good film noir. The Thin Man movies, starring William Powell and Myrna Loy, are favorites.